Topics

Rules of the Portal, for latest elaborations check both columns.

Anything said once can be said again in a better fashion. Everything said today can be better clarified tomorrow All entries are under constant editing and can be changed or expanded anytime. All views are dated, and are works in progress reflective during the expressed time frame only. This blog emphasizes issues ..., not personalities. Except for the On Line Bible, included for convenience, this site is portal to other Sunset Stroller sites linked below....

PURPOSE OF THIS BLOG IS TO DEFINE GOD THE WAY GOD DEFINED HIMSELF.
God is Existence. Exodus 3:14 "I am that I am." This is the name God told Moses He wants to be known by this name forever "into all generations."
For updates in sites linked above,
see links in left column below.

Thursday 23 November 2023

Translations from faith to feeling

Devotional: Jesus Calling

The reason I read and reread the scriptures is to gain and build my faith. In point of fact, it is the only reason I have reliably discovered so far.

In that effort I've been recently reading the devotional Jesus Calling by Sarah Young because it squares so closely right on Jesus. It rustled up critics I guess, and in the ensuing flap I have a new insight on translations. I suppose I could say she could be translating English into English. Basically, not much different from an ancient language into a younger language. 

I, at one time in my idle college days, discovered the mystery type stories of Georges Simenon. I could read and write French at the time. But the thing of it was I eventually discovered not all translations were as exciting or intriguing as others. 

I saw clearly that the Bible translations, even if English to English, were similar from one language to another. Certainly, words like conviction and assurance are weaker than ones like substance or evidence that we see in Hebrews 11:1.

No comments:

Post a Comment